Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The times i may miss

Long Post.


17 March 2012

"Ako si Magat Daniel Manuel Ocampo Macrohon Junior, ay tinatanggap ang tungkulin bilang pinuno ng Unibersidad ng Pilipinas Diliman. Ako'y handang mag-alay ng dugo, pawis at luha upang magampanan ang tungkuling ito. Kasihan nawa ako ng Diyos"

There should be "Laguman ng mga Kadete" before UPD. I'm sure i didn't take the job of the chancellor at that turnover ceremony. 

That was the day I became a first class man by virtue of ceremony when the UP ROTC Class "SIGLO" of 2012 put us in charge. At that time we were still the KIDLAT Class of 2013.

BREAK.

Things were a walk in the park, or a dragging ultramarathon under the noon heat. I account the different experiences, lessons, moments and the like during my final year ( and maybe across the years) in the UP Corps of Cadets.

 Alpha - Rayadillo

The Rayadillo Honor Guard Unit, Rayadillo Honor Guards and the Rayadillo Uniform share a great part in the majestic and striped history of the UP ROTC Unit. The uniform traces the small blue stripes back to the time of the Philippine Revolution in the Spanish time. The unit, which served as bodyguards then, became the flag, color and standard bearers of the University. During parades, the Alpha Company are usually composed of men in Rayadillo.

I give a lot for the Rayadillo. One of the reasons I joined the Corps is that I saw a Raya platoon doing a short stint in front of AS during the Lantern Parade 2009. I was still a freshman, and despite my parents being cadet officers themselves, I barely knew anything about ROTC. I had to recall during my freshmen orientation at Econ wherein officers and sponsors were handing out brochures. I went home and asked my mom. The reply: no.

I put a lot of value to the Rayadillo uniform. I always reprimanded my officers whenever they didn't handle or treat it with enough respect. My experience with this uniform was somehow memorable. The first time I wore the uniform was for a necrological service for Vgd. Lorenzo '78. When i was drawing my uniform from the logroom, I noted that people back then were tall and skinny. The long upper garment with the long and tight sleeves attest to that fact. I guess those dated back to early 2000. 

This was taken when I was a cadet major. The Rayadillo uniform consists of the Guinet Cap, Upper Rayadillo, Maroon Sash and White Pants (not seen). For officers, they may wear their sword and sword band, and their decorations which includes their rank insignia on a shoulder board, class insignia, name plate, and military awards. You can see the Diliman Sword and Sword Band, my Loyalty and COCC Valedictorian Awards and my personal guinet cap.


I used to list down all of the events that i participated wearing the uniform, but i misplaced my notebook. Here's what i recall: Necrological Details for: Vgd. Morales '63, Vgd. Ambil '67, and Vgd. Baybay '67, AFP Day 2009, Bonifacio Day 09-10, Lantern Parade 2009, Hagikhikan 2010, Himig 2011, Tribute Concert 2011, UP President Investiture, UP President Induction, a few Vanguard Fellowships, Gawad Chansellor 2011, UPM Commencement Exercises 2011, UP Diliman Commencement Exercises 2010-2012, various UPD and UPM College Graduation and Recognition Days, various private events and the Turnover Parades. 

The most memorable experience I had as a color officer was during the College of Science Recognition for Scholars just this 2013. First, we left the complex to commute since our ride was late. The driver arrived a minute after we left. Next, the assembly time given to us was way early even for practices. So we bummed around CSRC. The entrance of colors had a slight error where the UP flag stand was at the other side. The color bearer had to cross the stage, in front of some CS officials. Lastly, we got the warning that we were up for the exit of colors when we heard UP Naming Mahal being sung. All of the female officers present wore their uniform and went to their posts with great haste! We arrived on time, literally. I took post at the last "pag-asa ng bayan". I couldn't believe that we were able to make it, so i paused for a few seconds and gave the command: "PASULOOONG, KAD!". 

Some perks when you serve as an honor guard are the food and allowance which can go as high as 1,500 Php, depending on the event and the number of officers serving. As an upper class, you have the privilege to pick which events you want to participate in. I just buy food with the money i get. 

Some SOPs you have to follow when under the influence of the Rayadillo uniform:

  1. Wear the uniform with pride, distinction and honor. Be snappy and professional.
  2. Rayadillo men and women are prohibited from sitting down while wearing the full uniform. Go to T-White (White Underrshirt and White Pants) when not in service.
  3. Bring conversations to a minimum level or only as required. Avoid smiling and laughing.
  4. All brass articles must be clean and shiny. The rays of the sun must blind the people who stare directly towards your guinet cap.
  5. The uniform must be clean, odorless and ironed.
  6. The Maharlika Buttons must be oriented properly.
  7. The snaps must be, for lack of better term, snapped or activated.
  8. Assume the position of attention when you are idle. 
  9. For transporting, the upper garment must be contained in a suit bag or carefully kept to avoid damage.
  10. If you are an under class officer, you have to wear the uniform faster than your upper class. It goes the same for undressing.
  11. No running.
  12. All paraphernalia must be secured with a board and stoppers.
  13. Look good, do good, feel good!

I had problems with my Rayadillo uniform during the latter months of my CO life. Apparently, i significantly grew such that my maroon sash (clip type) had a difficult time being secured around my body. I had difficulty sealing the collar cause i even got fat at that area. Consequently, i conditioned myself to cut some mass in time for the Turnover Parade. 

UP ROTC Class "MAGISTRADO" of 2013 during the Turnover Ceremony and Graduation Parade last 16 March 2013 at the General Antonio Luna Parade Grounds.
"Ako si Kalakan Daniel Manuel Ocampo Macrohon Jr, ay nagbibitiw sa tungkulin bilang pinuno ng Pangkatin ng mga Kadete ng Unibersidad ng Pilipinas Diliman. Ako'y nag-alay ng dugo, pawis at luha upang magampanan ito. Kasihan ka nawa ng Diyos."

CLTC DANIEL MANUEL O MACROHON JR 1CL
CORPS COMMANDER , UP CORPS OF CADETS


No comments:

Post a Comment