Monday, June 10, 2013

Back to back

Back to the barracks

Personal areas were big concerns for officers, especially those biletted. You can determine how much free time a cadet officer has by inspecting his or her personal area. You can also find out if he or she has the skills to make all the mess disappear. Our favorite footlockers and magic boxes house all of the items that we are unable to sort before the barracks inspection. If you're up the chain and have a narra bunk, you can keep your shiz under the bed. In times of distress an upper class man may leave his trash for the junior officers to dispose, like 1 minute before the bell rings.

I loved my first area in the barracks very well. Floors were swept everyday, waxed at least twice a month, windows cleaned every 12 hours, foot gear aligned to the millimeter and cobweb free! This was suppose to be the description of everyone's area, nothing less than that. I was lucky to have another locker where i could store my unsorted articles, so inspection wasn't really a problem.

As the Corps Commander, i probably abused the privilege of having my own room, with a door. Since no one inspected my room regularly, most of the time it looked like a dump. I can probably count the times wherein it was clean top-down: Presentation of Sponsors, Summer General Cleaning, Sem Break General Cleaning, Christmas General Cleaning, RAATI Phase I, and the Turnover Parade. I was also in charge of inspecting the areas of the entire barracks along with my Cadet Officer of the Day and Barracks Commander. My room had a lot of hooks were i hung most of my head gear, hangers, and other items that would be best left hanging.
The Second Class Area, 2011. My area is the one behind . You can see my orange towel folded properly and hanged onto the top portion of the steel bunk. The floor has undergone years of polishing, and you can see a clear reflection of the ceiling light. Don't mind the dirty and misplaced articles. Taken after a training day wherein I was appointed Batch Commander of KIDLAT 2013.

Sometimes it floods along the hallway of the barracks. During the habagat onslaught, I went to the DMST Complex in the middle of the night just to check on the officers. Lo and behold! Flooded hallway. Luckily, i bought and brought my rubber/aqua boots. I felt like a king striding along the path, but got wet eventually since i didn't have a poncho.

It was convenient to have an installation of your home inside the school. Things seemed within a hands reach, but i wished it was near the Academic Oval or near my institute, para di hassle. I need a change of clothes, go to the barracks. If i needed a lab gown, jacket, extra socks, new shoes, i just went to the barracks. If i needed to cook, take a bath, have other emergencies and to sleep, it would just be an ikot away. It's automatic for all officers to doze off at the barracks after a tiring training day.

Parties inside the barracks are great. Study periods are better. It may be a coincidence, but when i stayed and studied at the barracks during my first class year, it seemed i got better grades and exam results from both semesters. That's why I miss the barracks right now, on my last semester of a new academic year.

It took a while for me to move all of my stuff from the barracks. A good supply of clothes, toiletries, food and academic material. I had to pass down to my lower class some items that had special meaning, were useful or that i didn't need anymore. I took home most of my uniforms, appliances and other memorabilia. I also regret taking a few photos of the barracks when i was still an officer, I was never the type :D

I guess this ends the Barracks Corpsnicles. Next: Charlie Character

No comments:

Post a Comment