Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Ang munting sitwasyon sa LRT 1

There is hope!

I was pondering on the Philippine problem of public transportation and traffic. I usually find myself thinking when I'm stuck on the road.

Recently, my trips to Manila were challenging since my travel route was always opposite the heavy traffic. Just yesterday, I became sardines in LRT Line 1. Getting to the platform was easy, but riding and getting off the coach wasn't.

There were big lines waiting, but in the end people just shoved themselves because the train didn't align with the markers on the platform. Next, rush hour meant that the coaches would have barely any space for a fly to breathe. People would force themselves inside while the automatic door tries its best to close. Sometimes the people near by assist in closing the mechanical door. Also, it seems that people do not coordinate well. Dapat salitan sa galaw: may gagalaw na isa para lumabas, uusog yung katabi. People just refuse to move and give way, typical Phil setting if you ask me. Kulang nalang na magmurahan sa loob.

Then, a man in his 50's said a lot of things which maybe true.
1. Walang disiplina ang  mga tao, hindi pa magawan ng paraan ng LRT.
2. Mas nagagawa ng mga tao sumunod ng batas sa ibang bansa.
3. Walang ngipin ang batas dito.
4. Atbp. kasi napagod na rin ako makinig.

And today, I was amazed. LRT management was able to solve or re-implement a simple system to control the passengers. They controlled the people that go on the platform just by using a big nylon rope, along with the guard (since an inanimate object would be useless for the Filipino people). Then the problem was gone! All of a sudden, I had experienced a smooth ride which was very different from yesterday and similar to a ride I took... let's say at least 10 years ago. The time it took for the train to leave each station was shortened. The beeping sound of the shutting door didn't last for a long time nor repeat in its sequence. People easily gave each other space, despite being still packed inside. And I saw this happen in all stations before I got off at Pedro Gil. Amazing.

Somehow everyone wishes that problems could be solved. I guess if the government, management and people observe, think and execute well, life would be better in this region. I hope to see this strategy hold on until the line gets decommissioned.

Don't forget simple solutions can work.

No comments:

Post a Comment